[Osdc-edu-authors] ARTICLE READY: CS professors speak back: capturing an hour of SIGCSE conversation

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Mar 28 21:23:59 UTC 2011

Picking up on
https://www.redhat.com/archives/osdc-edu-authors/2011-March/msg00044.html,
which is now ready to push. As usual, please edit (the ending could use
a bit more punch, but is workable as-is), improve title, pick an image,
etc. without blocking on me further - I'm trying to turn into a content
machine at the moment.

--Mel

--------

CS professors speak back: capturing an hour of SIGCSE conversation

--------

We asked you earlier <a
href="http://opensource.com/education/11/3/what-do-you-want-ask-1200-cs-professors">what
you'd ask 1,200 CS professors about open source</a> given the chance. So
when I headed down to Dallas, Texas for <a
href="http://sigcse.org/sigcse2011">SIGCSE 2011</a>, the largest
Computer Science education conference in the world, I took your notes to
the <a href="http://teachingopensource.org">Teaching Open Source
(TOS)</a> Birds of a Feather session and listened in on the
conversations there - thanks to all who attended for the insights, and
to <a href="http://blog.sdziallas.com">Sebastian Dziallas</a> from <a
href="http://olin.edu">Olin College</a> and <a
href="http://heidiellis.wordpress.com/">Heidi Ellis</a> from <a
href="http://wnec.edu">Western New England College</a> for organizing!

Attendees ranged from PhD students like <a
href="http://www.uci.edu">University of California, Irvine's</a> <a
href="http://www.ics.uci.edu/~leep/">Patricia Lee</a>, just starting her
teaching career with a Computer Architecture class and looking to
venture into teaching open source from the start, all the way to
seasoned faculty members like <a
href="http://www.cs.trincoll.edu/~ram/">Ralph Morelli</a> from <a
href="http://www.cs.trincoll.edu">Trinity College</a> who is one of the
leaders of the <a href="http://hfoss.org">HFOSS (Humanitarian Free and
Open Source Software)</a> collaboration. Conversation topics likewise
ranged from <a href="http://code.google.com/soc/">Google Summer of
Code</a> to IBM's SWT Java UI library to the <a
href="http://openhatch.org";>OpenHatch</a> project for finding "starter
problems" for students to tackle. A group on the side discussed the
scaleability of Toronto's <a href="http://ucosp.ca/">UCOSP
(Undergraduate Capstone Open Source Projects)</a> program while another
group talked about incorporating open source participation into service
learning initiatives. Thanks to collaborative notetaking with <a
href="http://etherpad.org";>Etherpad</a>, we managed to capture the
highlights of our conversations. Turns out the professors had some
questions of their own.

<strong>How do we select appropriate student projects?</strong> <a
href="http://www.calstate.edu/">California State University's</a> <a
href="http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~tyson/">Tyson Henry</a> turned the
question on its head and pointed out that students were far more engaged
in projects <em>they</em> chose - and furthermore, that learning how to
identify good opportunites for contribution was part of the learning
experience. It was quickly noted that one role of the professor in this
case was that of sanity-checker - excited students often propose grand
projects on a monumental scale, so faculty members with more project
management experience need to step in and help student teams focus in on
realistic goals so they can make a solid first step towards their vision
in the space of a semester.

<strong>The balance between freeing students to experiment and guiding
them enough to ensure success.</strong> When working with real-world
environments such as open source communities, professors have to balance
the duality of helping their students become independent learners with
the desire to make sure they have a successful experience. When do you
need to add structure to the messiness so that students don't get lost,
especially given the time constraints of getting something meaningful
done within a semester? "I wish someone could show me a worksheet -
'This is what I hand to students to help them pick a project,'" said <a
href="http://www.beloit.edu/computerscience/faculty/huss/">Steve
Huss-Lederman</a> from <a
href="http://www.beloit.edu/computerscience">Beloit College</a> while
explaining that teaching materials could help strike a nice balance
between independence and guidance. Since this is a shared problem
amongst professors getting their students involved in open source
communities, fostering a commons of things like homework assignments and
evaluation rubrics would be beneficial.

<strong>How do you gauge student success?</strong> When the completion
of a project hinges on many factors outside a student's control,
professors need to find different ways of grading. It's unfair to
penalize a student for good work that wasn't accepted as a patch simply
because an external dependency slipped or an outside developer didn't
respond to their email before the semester ended. To address this, <a
href="http://www.uwc.ac.za/?module=cms&action=showfulltext&id=gen11Srv7Nme54_9283_1210050506&sectionid=gen11Srv7Nme54_4157_1210050505">Grant
Hearn</a> from the <a href="http://www.uwc.ac.za/?module=cms">University
than hard rubrics - did they do <em>something</em> related to
documentation in the project, did they write <em>some</em> form of
feature specification, can they hand you a chat log with a remote
developer from their upstream - regardless of the outcome of that
conversation? Figure out learning objectives and turn them into
benchmarks that <em>are</em> under the student's control.

<strong>What things are open source experiences good at
teaching?</strong> As <a href="http://www.immaculata.edu/node/259">Mary
Elizabeth Jones</a> from <a href="http://www.immaculata.edu">Immaculata
College</a> pointed out, the same introductory CS class material may
lead to completely different learning experiences; compare a CS 101
class whose goal is to "learn basic Java syntax" to one whose objective
is to "experience your first software development lifecycle." <a
href="http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~hislopg/">Greg Hislop</a> from <a
href="http://drexel.edu">Drexel University</a> added that open source
projects are particularly good at "soft skills" that are harder to
measure than, for instance, whether a student has memorized the
difference between shell and bubble sort. The benefits of seeing and
working with code they haven't written, gaining multicultural
sensitivity via working with teammates from all over the world, or
having to defend their feature proposals to an audience of industry
veterans are more difficult to quantify, and easy to miss in the rush of
the semester. That's why objectives like "become an effective team
member" need to be supported by assignments like journal writing or team
dynamics counseling that make students step back and engage in
metacognition about the non-technical skills they're picking up.

<strong>How open source projects should present themselves to
faculty.</strong> Avoid being perceived as unstructured, multiple
professors suggested. Highlight the many different types of
contributions all levels of students can make; many faculty associate
"open source" with "code contribution" and relegate it to the realm of
senior capstone projects, mising potential opportunities to get younger
students involved with documentation, testing, or design.

<strong>Open source projects aren't perfect.</strong> Sometimes open
source projects have poor software development practices. This is the
reality of the "natural software development experience" - when was the
last time you joined a company that did everything perfectly? These are
actually great opportunities for students to turn around and try to
improve their project's practices using the skills they're learning in
class. <a href="http://heidiellis.wordpress.com/">Heidi Ellis</a> from
"aha!" moment incomplete documentation gave her students - "Oh! That's
why I should comment my code!" - as she silently cheered at the revelation.

<strong>It's hard to relinquish the seat of expertise at the front of
the room.</strong> "My students know more than I do," said <a
href="http://www.cs.uic.edu/~jbell/">John Bell</a> from the <a
href="http://www.cs.uic.edu">University of Chicago</a>, where his
students run <a href="http://www.flourishconf.com";>FLOURISH</a> an
annual conference on open source. John himself hasn't gotten involved in
an open source project, but came to SIGCSE in part to spread the word
about what his students are doing - something that takes a lot of
courage for a faculty member who's typically expected to be "the sage on
the stage" with all the answers. Multiple professors suggested easing
into teaching open source with small independent study groups instead of
starting with large classes right away, since both students and
professors are used to thinking about independent studies as learning
engagments steered by students and facilitated - rather than dictated -
by faculty.

<strong>Open source really does make a difference to students.<strong>
Despite the awkwardness and occasional missteps that come from trying
<em>anything</em> new in the classroom, the early promise of their first
experiments with students were what motivated faculty to keep trying to
make open source work in their classroom, year after year. Professors
told stories of their students coming back from job interviews saying
that they'd spent the entire time discussing their open source work with
prospective employers. <a href="http://cs.union.edu/~striegnk/">Kristina
explained that she'd gotten involved in open source in order to attract
more women to her school's CS major and now had a multidisciplinary
group of female students meeting outside of class to work on the <a
href="http://sugarlabs.org";>Sugar Learning Environment.</a>.

It was this last point that made the biggest impression on me throughout
all of SIGCSE; every single attendee I met was there <em>for their
students</em>, in some cases flying halfway around the world to attend.
I saw faculty members buying robotics kits with their own money to
<em>give away</em> to teens from lower-income families in the hopes it
would inspire them to play with technology. I thought I had been burning
the midnight oil in preparation for the conference - until I realized
that many attendees had done the same and were <em>still</em> doing
grading in their hotel rooms every evening after conference activites
were over. These were professors who genuinely cared about making a
difference in the lives of their students, and I was heartened and
inspired that they'd found open source participation one way to do so.