Re: [Osdc-edu-authors] Saw this one on Engadget earlier today...

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:54:45 -0500, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
...maybe somebody can inquire with them about more details and make a
story out of it? Surely sounds like an interesting device:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/20/adafruit-flora-lets-you-wear-your-open-source-love-on-your-sleev/

My first reaction was "wait, isn't that the lilypad?" but I did a little digging and there are some feature differences.

Good sources: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/01/20/announcing-the-flora-adafruits-wearable-electronics-platform-and-accessories/

Flora project page at https://www.adafruit.com/products/659, lilypad at http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardLilyPad

From the first link:

"The FLORA has USB HID support, so it can act like a mouse, keyboard, MIDI, etc. to attach directly to cellphones. Our iPhone/iPad/Android app coming soon. The FLORA's modules include: Bluetooth, GPS, 3-axis accelerometer, compass module, flex sensor, piezo, IR LED, push button, embroidered + capacitive keypad, OLED and more."

So it's Lilypad on steroids, in other words. The ECE geek in me is excited. And the feminist geek in me gets even more excited that both these platforms were developed by (incredibly talented and well-known in the open hardware world) geek women - Limor Fried (aka LadyAda) and Leah Buechley.

Must go to dinner now, but if I don't watch out I'll end up sitting down and comparing schematics between the two and writing an article myself. Someone, please, beat me to it so I'll actually write my papers. ;)

--Mel