[Osdc-edu-authors] Fwd: [OER-advocacy] Counter-post on the danger of forced e-textbook purchasing

carolyn fox cdfox1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 16:18:09 UTC 2012

I'll try to write on the subject asap.  As a former (lowly) adjunct history
instructor at a community college and state college, I can attest that
instructors do not always have free reign on whether to adopt a textbook or
not or even which textbook they use.  Department deans often required the
use of a textbook and often had already selected the textbook to use, even
though such history textbooks are an outdated mode of instruction and
acquiring historical knowledge.  The adoption of history textbooks has been
an ongoing battle wrapped up in politics for many years at the secondary
level and higher education across the country (and world) (
http://www.brianscollier.com/classreadings/Problems_of_Bias_in_History_Textbooks.pdf).
 Too many sticky moments, topics, and people in history....

Mary, you're quite right in saying that there are plenty of angles to cover
the required use of textbooks (print or digital) from pre-kindergarten to
graduate school.

Carolyn