Re: [Osdc-list] Points system

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 12:56:17PM -0500, Jason Hibbets wrote:
> Hi opensource.com users.
>
> We just posted a discussion on our Facebook page about adding a points
> system to opensource.com -
> http://www.facebook.com/opensourceway?v=app_2373072738#!/topic.php?uid=162962298056&topic=18458
>
> Feel free to help start the conversation there, or, if you'd like, we
> can collect feedback via the mailing list as well.
>
> *Points system*
> We're looking at installing a Drupal point system module on the site.
> What do you think?
>
> What other sites do you use that have points systems that you like? Why
> do you like them?

Initial reactions here, and I'm not entirely sure what the Drupal
point system does, but just hearing about it brings this to mind:

http://opensource.com/business/10/7/why-incentives-dont-work-education%E2%80%94or-business-world

So I get that badges and point systems seem to work on websites, or so
I'm told by experts, but I'm unclear what exactly is gained.

Personally, when I am on a site that is tracking and revealing my
usage of the site with such information, I am made aware of how much
or little I do there.  The negative side of that is if I see others
suddenly rocketing ahead, I may react by just not trying anymore.
It's hard to compete in web fora on number of posts when your style is
more focused on a few quality posts instead of quantity.  (Conversely,
I dropped my posting to Red Hat's famous internal memo-list when I
appeared in the top-ten posters a few years ago.)

Not really sure what the point system does in this regard, but I could
see someone with a large quantity of relatively mediocre comments
getting more points than someone who occasionally makes a really great
comment.  In that case, if I were the second person, I would feel
disincentivized by the tracking system.

- Karsten