Re: [Osdc-list] Points system

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 03:46:05PM -0500, Jason Hibbets wrote:

> What would be the incentives or self-motivators for the opensource.com
> community?

* Seeing that what you are doing is adding up to something; making a
  difference.  More of a "my brick fits in the wall of this
  courtyard", or even "my idea to make a rose garden wheel fits in
  this courtyard."

* Recognition that you do know what you are talking about; not in an
  obnoxious way, but more like, "Hey, you can keep arguing English
  semantics with her, but be aware that she holds a PhD in that field
  and will wipe the court with you."

  - What's hardest here is that these acknowledgements are usually
    better when delivered by person; the team leader's trick of
    saying, "Ask Rory that baking question, he's the team expert on
    cinnamon cookies," as a way to ack Rory, get Rory involved, up
    Rory's stake in the game, and get a question answered.

  - So, maybe a dashboard that is visible that shows things we can all
    then interprete.  If I see that Ruth always makes insightful
    comments, I'd like to both uptick her comments and see a way to
    push that recognition manually -- like submitting her for a new
    title of "Smartmouth" or something.

  - Maybe, then, I'd use my points gained to push recognition to other
    people?  A system where points given by people to me can only
    really be used to push other people higher?

- Karsten