Re: [Osdc-list] Open Source Webinar/Webcast Platform?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 06:21:24PM -0400, Chris Morse wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'll be jumping in on the opensource.com team to help with our email
> marketing efforts and the creation of a webinar/webcast series to
> promote the great conversations taking place on OSDC.

Hi Chris,

> With that said, I wanted to send out a note and see if anyone was aware
> of an open source platform that we could use for our next
> webinar/webcast event. I've heard there was some feedback about not
> using an open source solution for our Open Your World Forum
> (understandably so) and just wanted to see if this group had any
> thoughts/leads on a solution I could pursue.

Yep, I'm one of the people who made that observation.  Fortunately,
our handbook has a guideline that when we can't use free and open
solutions, we make sure that getting that fixed is on the roadmap.[1]

When I was originally looking at a solution for this, I was focused on
a feature set that is like Elluminate or WebEx.  For that, Dimdim seems
to be the go-to FOSS tool and service:

http://www.dimdim.com/

However, the tool used for Open Your World forum was a bit simpler.
It provided an audio stream and a slideshow, with the slides
controlled by a moderator.  I'm supposing we can get that with Dimdim,
but it's a bit of a fatter solution for that thinner need.

What are the requirements of a solution?  Please note items as MUST
have or SHOULD have items.

If we want to keep lighterweight, we'll have to continue looking.  I
can think of a few ways with currently used HTML 4 standards to
architect a solution that doesn't involved Flash or other proprietary,
heavy technologies.  Thus I'm hoping that someone has already cooked
up a similar lightweight solution from open standards.

- Karsten

[1] http://bit.ly/TOSWOpenTooling