Re: [Osdc-list] Fwd: Open and Closed -- Closed-captions for opensource.com videos?

Hi Everyone,
I have done some research on this and here is what I found.

We should not be using rendered sub-titles. The captions/sub-titles should remain separate from the video for ease of translation and updates.

We should be using a standard format to make it easier to caption and manage. I am leaning toward using .srt or .smil as the storage format. Here is some more info on this if your interested.
 - .srt seems to be a very common standard
 - .smil is a proposed W3C compliant format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronized_Multimedia_Integration_Language)
 - W3C Timed Text
 - more info here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/Caption_Formats#Caption_.26_Subtitle_Formats

There are several online services that facilitate easier captioning and subtitling but this also means we would be dependent on an external service to host (at least in some capacity) the captions and subtitles. Also, an external service would allow for the community to contribute towards the translations. Using an external service would also limit our access to move the captions to a new system later (We would need to redo them for every video).

Should we choose to do this "internally" we can still use an open source solution, but not a hosted service. This would allow us to store the translations in a common format which makes moving to a new player in the future rather simple.

My recommendation would be to use an open source player that supports captions and sub-titles and host it internally. It may be more difficult in the short term, but would cause us a lot less of a headache down the road if/when we want to migrate to a new player. It is important to note that we will need to identify and implement a new player for all videos to make this happen. This means, of course, it may be a while till we can use it on all our websites. :/

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions on this.
Thanks,
-wes

P.S. just to clarify, captions reflect the native language of the video in text. Sub-titles are the translated languages (otherwise they are the same as captions). It is important to note that we will need to identify and implement a new player for all videos to make this happen.