Re: [Osdc-list] Fwd: Open and Closed -- Closed-captions for opensource.com videos?

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:26:16PM -0400, Rebecca Fernandez wrote:
> It looks like (from a quick search) we're just uploading to YouTube and then
> embedding them. YouTube already has the closed-captioning functionality:
> http://www.youtube.com/t/captions_about
>
> So it seems it would be a simple matter of getting the account access to
> those who are interested in doing it...

We can use that as a short-term solution, if we can pull the content
back out for insertion in the source.  How about this as a next step
to keep things moving to freed and open?

If we consider the freed content container (the OGG-format files) as
the canonical binary releases of our videos, then we would want to
include captions in those files.  Captions created the open source way
and distributed under the CC BY SA license.

We can take a single captions source file that is completed in English
and make those available for translation via http://Transifex.net.

Perhaps a few of us will have to pitch in on the videos to kick off
the project, and get things moving so others will catch on to the
momentum.  Get things moving, then get out of the way:

https://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/How_to_loosely_organize_a_community#Community_soil_-_truisms_to_grow_with

Cheers - Karsten