Re: [Osdc-list] Fwd: Open and Closed -- Closed-captions for opensource.com videos?

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Mel Chua wrote:

Hi, folks - wanted to chime in on this... Kevin's a friend of mine from Gallaudet, and reminded me that opensource.com is not yet accessible to those who need captioning for video.

We *can* crowdsource the work - I'm not asking the video producers to add more work to their plate for what I know is already a labor-intensive thing. But I would like to know... if volunteers stepped up with time and skill, what would need to happen to make captions possible with the system that osdc is using for video?

You might like to check out the Universal Subtitles Project, too: http://universalsubtitles.org/

I think they're still developing pre-launch. They're a free/open source software project, too.

I don't think they're quite ready for use on opensource.com quite *yet*, but I'm CC:ing Nicholas Reville at the Participatory Culture Foundation in case he has any related thoughts.

-- Asheesh.

--
You have a deep interest in all that is artistic.