Re: [Osdc-list] Fwd: Open and Closed -- Closed-captions for opensource.com videos?

Perhaps a few of us will have to pitch in on the videos to kick off
the project, and get things moving so others will catch on to the
momentum.  Get things moving, then get out of the way:

+1 on this, and on using FOSS solutions (ogg, universalsubtitles, etc) when possible.

I feel like my hands are somewhat tied on this, as I'm one of those people who needs captions but, uh... can't hear and therefore can't produce them, so it's somewhat difficult for me to scratch my own itch. This is one thing about accessibility that's difficult to balance with the DIY mentality of FOSS - if we truly want the participation cost[0] for those who need accessibility considerations to be even with the participation costs of those who don't, we need to take the extra step ourselves to make the effort to do things like captioning and translating so they don't have to step forth. It's one of those small but important things that tell those folks they're truly welcome here and we're not just saying it, but actually taking action to make it easier for them to participate.

Here's what I'd suggest - I'm hosed and can't take this on myself, or I would offer. If we know an article with major video content is coming down the pipeline at least a week in advance of its release, someone can write an OSDC article on open accessibility/captioning with the solutions discussed in this thread and a call-to-action asking people to put themselves on a "alert! go go go!" list we'll contact when the video is posted, under the expectation that they'll be interested *right then* at spending 30 minutes subtitling, transcribing, translating, etc. on one specific video to help us test a workflow.

Then, if we can post the video somewhere public at least 48 hours in advance of the article launch where the universalsubtitles/transifex/etc volunteers from the post above can get to it, the article author can then ping that volunteer list and say "go go go!" and we should - hopefully - have captions and subtitles and translations and transcriptions ready to go by the time the article itself goes live.

After the first video, those people could leave it in the hands of others, but this would be stepping up for a single post in round 1 in the hopes that this will enable someone else to take it forward from there.

--Mel

[0] http://blog.melchua.com/2010/07/19/putting-in-a-dollar/