Re: [Osdc-list] using The Open Source Way as a canonical reference

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 04:30:31PM -0400, Ruth Suehle wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 06:09 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
>> We write a lot of great articles around here.
>>
>> Within each article I often see principles of the open source way
>> talked about, but few references back to the canonical handbook,
>> http://TheOpenSourceWay.org.
>
> I thought it was a Red Hat handbook, not a Canonical one? ;-)
>
> I don't know the best way to handle it in the course of this, but I will
> note that in talking to people at events, I've found more than a few who
> think that opensource.com is theopensourceway.org. There's definitely
> confusion, and it might help if we can find a way to help improve the
> distinction. Not in a this-over-that way, of course, but they are
> different entities with different purposes.

One thing that might help is if we referenced each site from the
other.

For example, the front material tosw.org could reference
opensource.com as, "The place where stories of the open source way
done right and wrong are shared." (Or something.) I tried a little
something up here:

https://www.theopensourceway.org/

On opensource.com, we could actually talk about the handbook as the
location where principles, implementation details, and short examples
of the open source way are gathered. How about adding something on
these pages?

* http://opensource.com/open-source-way
* http://opensource.com/about
* http://opensource.com/should-be - Should I write an article on how to
  use theopensourceway.org when writing?
* http://opensource.com/participate - suggest folks read the handbook
  (with brief explanation of wtf it is)
* http://opensource.com/become-regular-contributor - tell people we
  have a handbook they can refer to when writing, when pondering how
  to interact with other OSDC contributors, etc.

- Karsten
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership