I've always found this "rock star" talk in the F/OSS community a bit stupid. Most people here obviously have no idea what that word even means. Unless you can show off a picture like the attached one, you aren't even close. And even then, you need to at least write a stadium anthem on par with Badlands to compete in my book.

To me, open source is about coming together as equals. I know that this is often far from realistic, but shouldn't we at least strive for that instead of trying to brand people as rock stars who clearly aren't? Is a forum ranks system really what we should be focusing on?

Fab // sixgun.org

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Travis Kepley <tkepley redhat com> wrote:
I think it's far from harmful.  I mean, I guess it could be construed as such if you really dig, but we can't protect everyone can we?

From: "Karsten Wade" <kwade redhat com>
To: osdc-list redhat com
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:58:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Osdc-list] What comes after Rock Star?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:53:29AM -0700, Erlend Sogge Heggen wrote:
> Idol? It's hard to go beyond Rock Star without some god complex in the mix

I'd like to again raise the argument that callout out rockstars is
considered harmful:

http://iquaid.org/2009/11/11/calling-out-superrockstars-considered-harmful/

So I'll start a counter-thread in the comments of that artcile, trying
to identify different directions we can take, maybe blaze a trail or
two.

- Karsten
--
name:  Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Community Gardener
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership

Travis Kepley
Solutions Architect
RHCE, RHCVA - Red Hat, Inc
p. (919) 901-0852