Re: [Osdc-list] What comes after Rock Star?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 04:10:20PM -0400, Travis Kepley wrote:

> I think it's far from harmful. I mean, I guess it could be construed
> as such if you really dig, but we can't protect everyone can we?

I don't think the argument is directly about protecting the feelings
of people, so let's not get lost going down that path.

What is the goal of the badging system on opensource.com?

* Make people want to participate more.
* Show people their participation counts.
* Make people feel recognized as part of a larger whole.

We'll never know what beats in the secret hearts of people, but do you
want to bank on the idea that the majority feels the same way you do
about how it feels to be identified as a Newbie vs. Member vs. Rock
Star vs. Foo Bar?

Are we certain that the labeling method this thread proposes to
perpetuate services goals such as listed above? (What goals does this
method service best? Which least?)

If we have viable methods that don't rely on labels with specific
social meanings that may cause exclusion ... why not use those
methods?

Counting gold and experience points works just as well (if not better)
in a game system as tracking if you are a cutthroat, rogue, or master
thief.

- Karsten
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org