Re: [Osdc-list] What comes after Rock Star?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:09:38PM -0400, Travis Kepley wrote:

> Is this something we feel is preventing people from using or feeling
> welcome on the site? I haven't read otherwise, but maybe I'm not
> looking in the right places. I think there is something to be said
> if you are reading an article by someone who writes regularly for
> the site and someone who doesn't from a quick glance. When you
> combine that with the fun of unlocking achievements, I dunno, I
> really think the good outweighs any bad.

You are merging the discussion about the value of a badging system
with unlocking achievements and how that is labeled.

I agree that studies of gaming shows the value of unlocking
achievements in encouraging participation. Perhaps it's OK to apply
that to this site, and back when the idea was proposed I eventually
agreed[1] it was worthy as an experiment to see how it affected the
community. (I haven't been tracking that closely, but I presume others
have who have more invested in the site participation metrics.)

What can be adjusted at this mid-way point is how we label. Give the
labels real meaning to the situation rather than more meaningless
labels that may just exclude people.

- Karsten

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/osdc-list/2010-December/msg00010.html
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org