Re: [Osdc-list] What comes after Rock Star?

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:01:50AM -0400, Travis Kepley wrote:

> Ok, sorry if I misunderstood, I thought you were arguing that
> statuses and achievements were the issue, not the actual name of the
> achievements. I guess I misread your blog post and original
> arguments on why lists are bad. So it's quite literally the term
> 'rock star' that is the problem? I can dig that.

I admit to being on the fence about badges as a way to foster more
community, but I'm willing to experiment with ideas and see.

Regarding labels, it's not just 'rock star', it's really any label of
that type. We might be able to adopt a different analogy - digger,
planter, gardener, master gardener, etc. - but there is still some
elitism built in there. Again, any list is not subjective and requires
a legend to understand.

Currently I'm thinking I'd like to see a rounded point accumulation
with a + sign in front, which is often used to show karma
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moderation_system#User_moderation .)

Badges could simply appear like this:

+0
+1
+2
+3
+4
+5
+6
+7
+8
+9
+10
+15
+20
+30
+40
+50
+60
+70
+80
+90
+100
+150
+200

Another way is to bundle e.g. groups of ten, groups of hundred, using
an attractive but neutral icon set - as in the way eBay shows seller
ratings. Oh, dear, I just brought us around to GOLD STARS. *horrors*

Maybe there is a nice icon set that smells of collaboration?

A toolset such as might be used by Habitat for Humanity? First 9
points are a set of hammers, then you get screwdrivers, toolbet,
toolbox, bigger toolbox, a truck of tools, two trucks, two trucks and
a crew of LEGO workers, etc.[1]

- Karsten

[1] I wish we could use LEGO but I think it's more important to have
the site be 100% remixable except for the Red Hat trademarks.

team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org