Re: [Osdc-list] What comes after Rock Star?

On 07/28/2011 02:23 AM, Karsten Wade wrote:

> I admit to being on the fence about badges as a way to foster more
> community, but I'm willing to experiment with ideas and see.

Foursquare.com gets the system to hand out badges to users based on an
usage criteria. Admittedly, I've no idea whether those badges have any
value besides a little ego massage and, boasting rights in social
circle. Or, whether they actually encourage more usage.

Wikipedia on the other hand has barnstars
(<http://meatballwiki.org/wiki/BarnStar> and,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Barnstars>) and, these seem to
be fairly coveted to the point that they do encourage contribution and
participation.

I am an little uneasy about labels because they are sometimes used as a
bias. However, if the existence of the labels on osdc have indeed
fostered more participation, perhaps something is actually working out
for the better :)

--
sankarshan <sankarshan redhat com>
Red Hat