[Osdc-list] using The Open Source Way as a canonical reference

We write a lot of great articles around here.

Within each article I often see principles of the open source way
talked about, but few references back to the canonical handbook,
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org.

I've got a few theories about why this might be, but rather than
dissect the past, I thought I'd make some offers.

1. Some training - Maybe I could offer some training on how to use The
   Open Source Way (TOSW) as a handbook in writing for opensource.com?

   In particular, recognizing opportunities to reference TOSW, and
   identifying good stories/examples to push upstream to tosw.org.

2. Editing help - When an article is finished or near complete in a
   channel queue, I could go over the article and apply a standard
   linking to TOSW references. (We can discuss the format, such as
   linking from within the text, or having a paragraph block at the
   end saying, "This article references these principles of The Open
   Source Way: {bulleted list}."

   I sort-of like the latter, which is less subtle but possibly useful
   by being an aggregate and repeated pattern readers can get used to
   and learn from.

3. Office hours - Those of us with experience applying the principles
   and referencing TOSW can make hours of availability in
   #opensource.com on IRC to assist other writers and editors. In
   addition, I can be paged via SMS & appear on IRC within a few
   minutes (ConnectBot on Android FTW!), so it's trivial for me to
   actively support writing in different timezones.

4. Fixes - Help me identify what needs fixing in TOSW.

Way-back-when opensource.com was in pre-announce and we were working
on this handbook-thing-without-a-good-title, one reason we took on the
moniker "The Open Source Way" was to be a good reference tool for
opensource.com writers. I think it was John Adams who had the idea
that the handbook could be quoted chapter and section in the writing:
"As The Open Source Way says, '[Practice radical transparency]'."

So this is me coming around a year later and ready to put that process
in to place.

Interested?

- Karsten