[Osdc-list] shutting off comments at a certain article age

So I've noticed that the manual spam in the comments section of
articles seems to land on older articles for me. Since I watch the
comments of anything I comment on, it's not just that it's been a
while since I wrote anything! In fact, it was a Chris Grams article
from Feb 2010 that I just deleted a spam comment from.

Lately I've noticed that some bloggers are closing comments on posts
older than a certain age. There is always a way to contact the author,
right?, so if someone really has a relevant comment they aren't
entirely stuck.

I'm curious what the types of comments are on posts that are >3
months, >6 months, >12 months old? How many are relevant and how many
spam?

If it's overwhelmingly or entirely spam, perhaps we want to consider
cutting comments off at that point - with a note about contacting the
author or channel lead for follow-up.

It's also possible I'm mis-perceiving the depth of problem. I only see
a few such comments a month, but I figure some of you may see many
more, and that's lots of us distracted if there is little to no value
to what is being written.

- Karsten
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org