Re: [Osdc-list] Khan Academy Computer Science curriculum

I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea. There is a rote method used to teach which may not appeal to everyone. I haven't met anyone who has complained about the lectures, though my small circle would not qualify as a viable statistical sample. However, the idea of it is amazing and it has helped my sons from its inception both with their courses and with refreshers when they need them. We all use Linux. My sons program in Linux.

The Khan site itself is a work perpetually in progress. It would be interesting to know is if Khan is willing to have others participate to fill in those gaps you are talking about. That would make it more of an open source endeavour. If it is a one man show that just makes education more egalitarian, is that open source enough to warrant promotion on opensource.com? If his teaching and reputation subtly guide students to one particular company, perhaps that needs to be looked at.

My family's experience with Khan Academy has been all good, but no one here ever tried to challenge for credit based solely on self study with Khan. I like the egalitarian approach to education but whether or not it qualifies as open source appears to be in question? That aspect may have to be explored further, possibly through contacting the man himself.

I'm off to work today but look forward to reading any updates on this thread this evening.

Beverly