Re: [Osdc-list] (no subject)

I totally agree with what Beverly said and I go further,  what people do with the tools is not a tool fault.  If someone is killed by a hammer the hammer it's not guilty. I have severe restrictions with people  who buy guns but I can't blame the gun for the problem and so on. If someone is using technology and not only open source, by the way Google earth is not OS, to make criminal actions it's not an IT  problem is a police problem ! and probably this individual or group would be making the same with or without it. Private,closed source software does not guarantee your freedom , it's just guarantee that you will pay for a license in order to use the software, not to be the owner of the software or it's related IP,  but to just to use it, whatever the use you will make. In OS you have the opportunity to  contribute,change,modify, add,deny,rebuild,and etc...  but, sharing whatever you did. That's where the freedom comes from. You are free to do whatever you want with the code. If you gonna use the code to infringe the law, it could be done with proprietary software,free software,with software,without software. And just for your information , these kind of people are not worried about licenses or rights, they are bandits after all, so it's most probably that they are using a pirate version of very well known softwares than OS ones. Outside US (I'm in Brazil) , just companies (and great ones) care about licenses. The vast majority of population uses pirate copies and don't give any importance to it. Here it's hard to convince to use OS because in their minds there is no difference. They are not paying for anything at all. But when this mentality changes , OS will not be an alternative , it will be the only way. Here 400,00 bucks (200 USD) for a Windows 7 home premium license is not affordable for a great part of the population who has a computer.

Tks...