Re: [Osdc-list] Article Opportunity: Facebook's IPO

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius gmail com> wrote:

Facebook and Google are considered 'evil' or at least problematic by
many Open Source/Free Software advocates.

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but the following just increases my paranoia regarding Facebook

http://www.businessinsider.com/exclusive-mark-zuckerbergs-secret-ims-from-college-2012-5

(There's a follow-up at the bottom of the page that goes into more detail but I haven't read that yet.)

And yet, even if the software they used to deliver those services
where 100% Open Source, the problem would remain.

The issue freedom has moved beyond the realm of software, and into the
realm of the hardware and energy and work needed to *host* that
computation.

The next step in our evolution - of Freeing the users from subjugation
- is to address the difficulties of sharing the costs of hosting.

Personally, I'm more interested in focusing on getting users to understand that they are part of a continuum from complete "novice" user to "master" whatever, and that they can move along that continuum. The whole "knowledge is power" angle. I find, with increasing frequency, that so-called novices who are bewildered by a mouse and keyboard are very quick to understand the ideas of open source, either due to me explaining it better or the concepts becoming more pervasive. Of late, the Broadband Bridge project in DC, which is trying to establish more community-based, community-controlled networks, is drawing in a lot of energy and curiosity from new-comers, and they are seeing open source as a social justice issue.

The longer we avoid tackling this issue, the more ground we have won
through Free Software/Open Source will slip from our control, until
finally, only those that share hardware for the purpose of subjugating
the users, will have any control.

True dat.

We, the users, must learn to co-own hardware (think user-owned clouds)
for our own, mutual benefit instead of for the purpose of feeding off
of the dependence of latecomers that do not yet have co-ownership...

"The revolution will not be monopolized!" ;-)

Sincerely,
Patrick Anderson
http://ImputedProduction.BlogSpot.com
http://SocialSufficiencyCoalition.BlogSpot.com