Re: [Osdc-list] MOOCs the Open Source Way

Barry,

I'd recommend you take a look at the Mechanical MOOC (http://mechanicalmooc.org) which is offering it's first course, A Gentle Introduction to Python, using a model that doesn't rely on a unified platform at all.  Rather than trying to create a closed environment for learning, we are using a mailing list to coordinate learner activity across four different existing resources that are, to varying degrees, open.

The structure, assignments and video lectures for the course come from MIT OpenCourseWare, which shares all content using a CC BY-NC-SA license.  The text for the course in Downey's How to Think Like a Computer Scientist, which is also openly licensed.  Learner interaction is facilitated by OpenStudy, which has a policy releasing all community contributions under an open license.  We also use exercises from Codecademy, which is the most proprietary of the participants. The course is coordinated by Peer 2 Peer University, which is a longstanding advocate of open education.

We kicked off the first round of co-ordinating e-mails (archived at http://mechanicalmooc.wordpress.com/category/seq15oct12/) on October 15th with 6,000 registered participants, and will kick off the second cohort of participants on November 26th, even before the first has finished up.

We see this "unplatform" model as being very democratizing, as is it very flexible--projects can easily be brought together to create MOOC like offerings.  Really any combination of open texts books, open course materials, open learning communities and open or free assessments or simulations can provide the basis for a course.  Peer 2 Peer University is in the process of vetting opportunities for the second round of courses right now.

It's also worth noting that the original "connectivist" MOOCs from 2006-2008 were very much open source, democratizing models.  http:://mooc.ca is a great site for understanding this model.

Best,

Steve Carson