Re: [Osdc-list] MOOCs the Open Source Way

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the link. This week, the Creative Commons examined closely the ways in which newer MOOCs strategically deploy (and reframe) the term "open" to describe what they offer.

Here's a snippet:

"The new cohort of MOOCs are distinct from the original MOOCs in that they are 'open,' thus far, in only one respect: they are open enrollment. The new MOOCs have not yet openly licensed their courses. As MOOCs continue to develop course content and experiment with various business models, we think it's crucial that they consider adopting open licenses as a default on their digital education offerings. In general, the value proposition can be enhanced for the new MOOCs and their users if the MOOCs openly license their courses."

And here's the rest of the story:

Bryan