Re: [Osdc-list] MOOCs the Open Source Way

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012, Barry Peddycord III wrote:

The perceived problem they are solving is one I've been fussing about
for a long time: while EdX and Coursera are making a really big
splash, they are relying on the brand-recognition of the Ivy League
and Research Universities they partner with,

I think it's worth pointing out how inaccurate this statement is. I can't talk about Coursera, but EdX (and open courseware in general) started at MIT, with the goal of making available courses more widely available, for free - starting with MIT's "Open Courseware" initiative and growing into EdX. A few other universities then jumped on board (notably Harvard).

It's a non-profit initiative, motivated by making existing courses more widely available. Not, as implied by the above, by some outside entity capitalizing on the "brand recognition" of carefully selected partners.

Miles Fidelman