[Osdc-list] Chris Hayes and Katrina vanden Heuvel: The Twilight of the Elites

There is at least a great article exploring the meaning of trust and meritocracy here and I wish I had time to write it. I will at least read the book.

I like to think that Open Source communities can be viewed as a positive force that bubbles up through various manifestations of social dysfunction.

I haven't read the book yet, but this author says that 'smartness' isn't enough. His core argument in the book is how inequality makes people at the top worse. "The cult of smartness", where 'smartness' is treated like a linear, easily measurable quality, such as height or weight, can stifle creativity and enable destructive intelligence.

While generally taking a very Liberal view, at one point the author mentions how the Army is one of the most egalitarian institutions in America (children, regardless of class, attend the same school, etc.).

Enjoy the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q9W04_BwQ8

Beverly