Re: [Ovirt-devel] Re: blocked on virt-viewer in Ovirt install preparation

Guo Lian Yun wrote:
  Thanks for your great help!

You're welcome :)

I installed successfully all dependency RPM by yum. But it report error when
  I'm installing Ovirt.

1) It fails for me by running create-wui-appliance.sh to create virtual server.

#bash create-wui-appliance.sh -t http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/9/Fedora/x86_64/os/ -k http://ovirt.org/download/wui-rel-x86_64.ks -v
Domain node3 defined from /tmp/tmp.b3q8JWVRoM

Domain node4 defined from /tmp/tmp.jtalRXJK3k

Domain node5 defined from /tmp/tmp.B8zlcSB1Cj

Network dummybridge destroyed

Network dummybridge has been undefined

Network dummybridge defined from /tmp/tmp.s8cSkpypob

Network dummybridge started

Network dummybridge marked as autostarted

Formatting '/var/lib/libvirt/images/developer.img', fmt=qcow2, size=6144000 kB
Wed, 06 Aug 2008 03:40:05 ERROR    virConnectOpen() failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 496, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 345, in main
    conn = cli.getConnection(options.connect)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/cli.py", line 92, in getConnection
    return libvirt.open(connect)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 135, in open
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpen() failed')
libvirtError: virConnectOpen() failed

Who knows why it is?

Hmm. The command above should work to create a completely new appliance image in the current directory. Some logs to look at would be:
/root/.virtinst/virt-install.log
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/*.log

Attach these logs to a mail message and I'll take a look at them. They might reveal something useful. The command you're using above is only necessary if you want to create the appliance from scratch. If you have downloaded the appliance tar.gz file from ovirt.org, then you can simply just use it. No need to recreate it from the RPM repositories.

Then I try to run below command and pass for me.

#bash create-wui-appliance.sh -d "`pwd`" -v

Also, I can start 'developer' successfully.

Good. This is the command that just reuses the existing .img file that is downloaded from ovirt.org.

2) I tried to invoke the main Virt page, but it fails for me.

#ssh -Y root 192 168 50 2 firefox (or ssh -fY root 192 168 50 2 firefox -no-remote)
ssh: connect to host 192.168.50.2 port 22: No route to host

What's the ip refer to? Is it refer to the ip address of my own machine?
It still fails for me by trying conncect to myself.

This is sshing to the appliance which has an IP address of 192.168.50.2 on the dummybridge network. If you just started the appliance when you ran that command, the networking stack might not have been up yet. Wait a few minutes and try again...

Also, give me the output of:
virsh list --all
virsh dumpxml developer

Here is the dummybridge output for my own machine.

dummybridge Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:FF:99:97:1A:8F
          inet addr:192.168.50.1  Bcast:192.168.50.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::3cb0:b6ff:feed:cab/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:4427 (4.3 KiB)

#ssh -fY root 192 168 50 1 firefox -no-remote
Error: no display specified

This is sshing to your physical host running Fedora 9, so this is not going to work.

Does this fail because of putty? The set up machine isn't on my hand, I connect to it
by putty. Do I have to install it on my local machine?

The command is trying to run firefox on a remote display using X forwarding. If you are running these commands in Putty on a Windows box none of this will work since Windows can't natively display X applications. The easiest way to do this is to log into the local console of the host that is running F9 and the developer appliance. From the local console open up an xterm and run the ssh commands from there.