Re: [Ovirt-devel] [RFC] Beginnings of a OVirt API

David Lutterkort wrote:
Here are a few patches that implement the beginnings of an API for
OVirt. They cover handling hosts and storage and hardware pools so
far. This patch is mostly meant for discussion, since there's still a few
things that need to be tweaked.

If you're only interested in seeing how the API is used, jump straight to
patch 5/5; it contains all the client side (example) code. To see what gets
sent across the wire, you can request stuff like /ovirt/hosts or
/ovirt/hardware_pools?path=/default/foo/bar in your browser and admire the
XML.

In doing this, it became apparent that there are various things in the
existing OVirt server code that need to be adapted to better accomodate the
API:

  * Enable simple HTTP authentication

    It should be possible for people to run scripts without hooking the
    client into the krb5 infrastructure; instead, scripts should be able to
    use simple username/password authentication.

Jay is working on this. Once this is in the next branch you can modify your stuff to use the user/pass auth.

[snip]

  * Where's the CLI ?

    I intended to accompany this with a nice clean CLI client that you can
    use for lots of things. Even with the current subset of the API, there
    are lots of interesting queries and actions one could perform, even
    with the current subset of the API. I'd like to avoid offering a
    million options from the CLI though. If anybody has pressing needs for
    CLI functionality, let me know, otherwise, I'll start making stuff up.

Start making stuff up for now :)