[Ovirt-devel] [RFC] Beginnings of a OVirt API

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 02:51:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:15 -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:00 PM, David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com> wrote:
> ...snip...
> >
> >    Is there a need for a CLI client for interactive use that lets you
> >    avoid using a browser ? Not sure how important that is.
>
> It would be really nice. Not everyone wants to write everything in ruby.

Understood .. and the intent is that the API should also be accessible
from Python etc. It would be nice if somebody tried and wrote Python
support for the API (similar to ovirt.rb in patch 5/5)

But a CLI client would only be needed (a) for shell scripting and (b)
for interactive command line use. I don't think you'll get much mileage
out of shell scripting with OVirt; there's a good number of data
structures and relationships that you can't really replicate in shell.

So, for scripting, I think you'll always need something just a little
more powerful than shell, like Python.

David