[Ovirt-devel] virt-viewer plugin integration issues

Looking for some design advice from you guys.  Here's the situation.

We want to be able to run virt-viewer to connect to oVirt Node guests from hosts that are not part of the kerberos infrastructure. From my looking around it seems we have the following options:

1. enable digest-md5 as an auth mech and do user/pass auth and setup a
   simple service account just for virt-viewer (using qemu+tcp connect
   method)
2. use qemu+ssh to connect to libvirt on the Node

1 doesn't seem to work presently since virt-viewer won't prompt you for user/password if digest-md5 is a valid auth method (is that because virConnectOpenReadOnly is used instead of virConnectOpenAuth?) And even if it were modified to prompt for a password that would happen on a shell which may not exist if you're launching firefox from a desktop icon. We'd need a graphical prompt for the user/pass or the ability to pass the password as part of the uri perhaps.

2 is problematic since we'd have to set up ssh keys at build time and distribute them as part of the appliance. Key management that we've been trying to avoid with all of this.

Either of you have any suggestions on where we should go with this. Short term we need a solution (even if it is slightly hackish) just to make the console work. Longer term we need something more secure.

Dan you mentioned just falling back and using straight vnc plugin since we don't need the vnc port lookup since oVirt Server has that info. That doesn't work for when Node is in standalone mode with no server... And besides in standalone mode libvirt has to do digest-md5 since we have no kerberos infrastructure in that mode.

Speaking of that... Alan, for your standalone Node patches we need to switch libvirt from gssapi to digest-md5 and create an account for people to use... that account creation should be part of the Node first-boot configuration TUI probably (along with setting the root passwd).

|=-        Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston        -=|
|=-                     Email: pmyers redhat com                      -=|
|=-         Office: +1 412 474 3552   Mobile: +1 703 362 9622         -=|
|=- GnuPG: E65E4F3D 88F9 F1C9 C2F3 1303 01FE 817C C5D2 8B91 E65E 4F3D -=|