[Ovirt-devel] Re: Configurable options for a Nic

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 18:19:46 UTC 2008

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> +++ Scott Seago [27/08/08 14:04 -0400]:
>>> Also, in looking at this list, I think I would, as a sysadmin, be
>>> confused
>>> that there was no interface listed in the above. I don't think of
>>> NICs in
>>> terms of their mac address but instead as the interface name itself.
>>> I  think
>>> it would give some ease of reading to have the "last known"
>>> interface  name
>>> stored in the database and displayed as read-only with the other
>>> details.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>> usage_type would identify one nic as the 'management' interface,
>> etc.  And, yes, the list should probably be constrained to a set of
>> known  valid values. Besides 'management', I'm not sure what others
>> we need.  The management one is the only interface that's treated
>> specially by  ovirt (well it isn't yet, but it will be). This NIC is
>> supposed to show  up in the summary list for the host (which fields
>> though?), and I  believe this nic is also the one that will be
>> required when  "pre-filling" host information prior to first boot.
>
> So, in order to prefill a NIC, we'll need a "New" button on this page
> as well
> as the ability to edit and verify the mac address, yes? Should we be
> able to
> edit the other macs?
Well the 'new host' form would be a bit of a special case. We'd only be
able to fill in the MAC address for the management nic -- everything
else would be blank (not sure about hostname, as I believe we'd need
something there...) So that wouldn't come up on this form. In fact, I
don't imagine you'd be able to edit the usage type -- unless the WUI is
the place to redefine the management nic, etc. I'm not sure what the use
case is for editing this field or adding/removing NICs or editing MACs.
Scott