[Ovirt-devel] Re: Configurable options for a Nic

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
+++ Scott Seago [27/08/08 14:04 -0400]:
Also, in looking at this list, I think I would, as a sysadmin, be confused that there was no interface listed in the above. I don't think of NICs in terms of their mac address but instead as the interface name itself. I think it would give some ease of reading to have the "last known" interface name stored in the database and displayed as read-only with the other details.

Thoughts?

usage_type would identify one nic as the 'management' interface, etc. And, yes, the list should probably be constrained to a set of known valid values. Besides 'management', I'm not sure what others we need. The management one is the only interface that's treated specially by ovirt (well it isn't yet, but it will be). This NIC is supposed to show up in the summary list for the host (which fields though?), and I believe this nic is also the one that will be required when "pre-filling" host information prior to first boot.

So, in order to prefill a NIC, we'll need a "New" button on this page as well as the ability to edit and verify the mac address, yes? Should we be able to
edit the other macs?
Well the 'new host' form would be a bit of a special case. We'd only be able to fill in the MAC address for the management nic -- everything else would be blank (not sure about hostname, as I believe we'd need something there...) So that wouldn't come up on this form. In fact, I don't imagine you'd be able to edit the usage type -- unless the WUI is the place to redefine the management nic, etc. I'm not sure what the use case is for editing this field or adding/removing NICs or editing MACs.
Scott