Re: [Ovirt-devel] VM Installation problem (and proposed solution)

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 05:20:06PM +0200, Chris Lalancette wrote:
Hello all (Ian especially),
     apevec pointed out a problem with installation of guests under oVirt.  What
currently happens is that after you finish the installation of (say) Fedora in a
VM, the VM reboots, but then immediately PXE boots again.  This is because we
haven't killed the guest and re-defined the XML to have the boot device be the
hard drive, like it should.

You don't have to wait for installation to finish before re-defining the XML with hard drive as the boot device

You can define the post-install XML config the moment the guest has booted.
When it shuts down, libvirt will automatically switch over to the newly
defined config.  This is how virt-install handles it.

Daniel

If the guest does a soft reboot does the libvirt configuration get reloaded at all? (I would think not) In this case the process would look like the following:

1. Message sent to ovirtd on Node saying 'install_vm'
2. ovirtd defines vm to boot PXE/ISO or whatever and sets on reboot to
   destroy
3. ovirtd starts vm
4. ovirtd redefines vm to boot hd and turns off destroy on reboot
5. When guest soft reboots, the vm is destroyed causing the new libvirt
   configuration to be loaded when it is started next
6. ovirtd restarts the domain when it detects the domain has been
   destroyed

Does that sound reasonable?

|=-        Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston        -=|
|=-                     Email: pmyers redhat com                      -=|
|=-         Office: +1 412 474 3552   Mobile: +1 703 362 9622         -=|
|=- GnuPG: E65E4F3D 88F9 F1C9 C2F3 1303 01FE 817C C5D2 8B91 E65E 4F3D -=|