[Ovirt-devel] help

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 20:40:42 UTC 2008

Hadi almarzuki wrote:
> HI,
>

> im trying to setup ovirt on centos. when we flow ur instruction on the
> web we getting problem for downloading with yum .
> pls guide us
>
> http://ovirt.org/repos/ovirt/5/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP
> Error 404: Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
> ovirt. Please verify its path and try again

Hadi,

Thanks for looking into oVirt.  At this time our developers are focused on
Fedora 10 as the OS to support the oVirt Server.

Centos 5 (being based on RHEL5) will have a much older package set and
it's likely that things will not work correctly on that OS without some
backporting and patching of other core packages (like kvm, ruby, etc...)

You're welcome to give it a try and submit patches so that oVirt can
support that OS as a base (in fact we'd love to get some community support
for additional OSes!)

But at the current time we don't have enough development help to port
oVirt to Centos.  At some point we will probably port things over to RHEL
and from there moving to Centos should be trivial, but I don't know what
the timeline for that is.

Thanks,

Perry