Re: [Ovirt-devel] ovirt installation test scenarios

Michael DeHaan wrote:
Joey Boggs wrote:
Since the options are limited right with what can be external(postgres/freeipa) here's a list so far of different oVirt installation scenarios that should to be tested

external dns + internal cobbler + external dhcp + internal pxe
external dns + internal cobbler + internal dhcp + internal pxe
external dns + external cobbler + external dhcp + external pxe
external dns + external cobbler + internal dhcp + external pxe
internal dns + internal cobbler + external dhcp + internal pxe
internal dns + internal cobbler + internal dhcp + internal pxe

Can't reproduce these below just yet due to dnsmasq config, currently does both dhcp and dns by default bundled config
internal dns + external cobbler + external dhcp + external pxe
internal dns + external cobbler + internal dhcp + external pxe

There may be some issues in producing these scenarios if so please let me know and we can build/correct a solution.

The cobbler server should be the PXE server, and that should help simplify things, no?

All the admin would have to do is set the next-server for the subnet to point at the cobbler box if he happened to have another PXE environment. You could just document this step.

Somewhat unrelated, is Ovirt doing any DHCP management? Cobbler has a built in feature for this that would probably be useful. DNS also -- and it does support dnsmasq in addition to the BIND stuff. This allows you to pin certain mac addresses to certain ip's and hostnames, just by creating cobbler system records with that information filled in.

--Michael

Currently oVirt can use any dhcp app to provide dhcp there is no management function. The appliance version uses dnsmasq based on install time basic configuration as will the first cut of the bare metal installer. We can use any dns server the only requirement for installation is forward/reverse lookup for the FreeIPA portion. We already provide some cobbler integration for the profiles, what would it take to integrate dns/dhcp into the ovirt console?