[Ovirt-devel] Merge the puppet installs

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Tue Dec 23 19:40:46 UTC 2008

I spoke with Perry about this, and we wanted to get a quick take from
everyone else. The puppet installer which Joey has been writing [1] can
handle several various cases of installes (embedded cobbler or not,
embedded dhcp or not, etc). The current appliance is driven by a similar
puppet script and is just one variation. Currently the ovirt-appliance
recipe is in a seperate git repo (ovirt-recipe)

We think it makes sense to merge the work Joey did into the ovit-server
git repo. Since the installer brings in alot of stuff with it, it could
be a subpack of the main server (ovirt-server-install) so folks could
still install ovirt-server w/o the baggage. We could then modify the
appliance building to use this new sub-package and deprecate the
ovirt-recipe git repo.

Benefits to this are:
* Installer and product versioned together.
* Less git repos
* Only one puppet recipe is maintained for bare metal and appliance.
* Better testing on said recipe

Drawbacks
* Makes a big spec file a bit bigger
* More coarse grained git repos