[Ovirt-devel] Some architecture diagrams

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 15:40:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:34:39PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >In terms of separate guest / machine for FreeIPA, this is really a
> >deployment
> >choice.  I think it'll be most trouble-free if you keep FreeIPA and the
> >oVirt
> >WUI in separate virtual machines. I should be possible to run them in the
> >same VM with suitably clever Apache config, but unless you're really
> >familiar
> >with this I think it'll cause more development pain.
>
> But think about this in terms of "I'm just an ordinary sysadmin who
> wants to test out ovirt".  They've got past the screenshots and text on
> the website and want to get to the next step.
>
> Two questions:
>
> (1) Can we make it so 'yum install ovirt' on an existing Fedora machine
> pulls down enough software so that ovirt WUI can start up?

Probably can for F9 - FreeIPA rpms should be going into F9. We can add
ovirt RPMs to F9 too, so the whole thing should be yum installable.
Would need to document / provide a setup script for the post-install
config steps - eg the postgresql database.

> (2) Are the managed hosts and iSCSI servers _really_ necessary?

Only if you want something to manage. In theory the oVirt WUI ought to be
able to manage any machine running libvirtd. Only hard part would be if
the machine in question already had guests running - we'd need to make
sure oVirt could 'import' them to its world view in some sensible way.

> Question (1) => we could make package ovirt depend on the parts of
> FreeIPA necessary (ipa-server & ipa-client I think).  _If_ we can
> persuade FreeIPA to be a good citizen and not require its own server.

Yes, i'd be good to have a vhost config file you can drop into the
/etc/httpd/config.d  that would play nicely with the world - eg have
everything under /freeipa  instead of taking over the entire apache
server namespace.

> Question (2) => we shouldn't need any managed hosts or other servers,
> just to start up the WUI.  Obviously it won't be very functional, but it
> should at least start up.

Sure, it'll start up just fine.

Dan.