[Ovirt-devel] OVirt public API

Benjamin Kahn bkahn at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 14:25:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 08:53 -0400, Hugh O. Brock wrote:
> XML-RPC I assume is covered if we use XML to serialize data.

No.  XML-RPC is very different from this proposal.

XML-RPC uses a single URL which accepts only post data.  The content of
the POST request is a single command (verb) and a number of arguments to
that verb.  The arguments can be a limited number of supported types:
arrays, lists, ints, strings, etc.  For an example, here is the URL for
our bugzilla install:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/xmlrpc.cgi

To get information about a bug, you can call the command:

bugzilla.getBug ($bugid, $username, $password);

Which encodes to:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
  <methodCall>
    <methodName>bugzilla.getBug</methodName>
    <params>
    </params>
  </methodCall>

And gets an immediate return for the data.

--
Benjamin Kahn <bkahn at redhat.com>
Program Manager (978) 392 - 3176