[Ovirt-devel] [Q]Can VM start in Developer Version?

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 12:08:38 UTC 2008

S.Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question.
> Can VM start in Developer Version?

In theory, yes.  In practice, you might run into a problem (see below).

> I install the Developer Version on x86 machine.
>
> When I make VM on this environment and do "start",
> The following error is output on taskomatic.log, and "start" failed.
>
>     libvir: QEMU error : internal error QEMU quit during console startup
>     open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
>     Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
>     Could not allocate physical memory
>     start_vm
>     Task action processing failed: Libvirt::Error: Call to function virDomainCreate failed

OK, so the "Could not initialize KVM" error is not fatal; it just means your
guests will be using Qemu for full emulation, which is expected in the developer
version.  The part that does seem fatal is the "Could not allocate physical
memory".  By default, we only give 512MB to the "fake" managed nodes (such as
node3); as such, there isn't a lot of room for guests on there.  What size guest
were you trying to run?  My guess is that if you increase the size of the
managed node, you will then be able to start your guest.  You can modify the
managed node by doing something like:

# virsh dumpxml node3 > node3.xml
<edit node3.xml to increase the memory>
# virsh define node3.xml
# virsh start node3

Which should give you additional memory to start a guest in node3.

Chris Lalancette