[Ovirt-devel] Skipping the Browser :)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 13:12:08 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

The "Breaking the browser thread" has been interesting :)    I
definitely agree on the importance of using /existing/ monitoring and
trending tech (which is all the more likely to already be in use at a
given shop, or be usable by another app on the network) and not focusing
too much on shiny AJAX bits, and definitely not something that has weak
OSS support like Flash.   This reminded me of something I wanted to
bring up -- basically, I wondering about what happens when we don't have
the (ovirt) browser :)

I'm pretty much a backend guy, and administrators I deal with love
scripts and command line tools.   More so, one of the things I am
looking out for is integration with other applications in the future,
one of them being Spacewalk (http://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk).   So,
in this case, we'd be hoping to see ovirt more as a web service than a
GUI application.  This is basically what we are doing with Cobbler -- it
has it's own GUI, but Spacewalk is probably just going to use it as a
web service.

Is everything in ovirt that can be accessed as a GUI (and performed by
the GUI) accessible as a web service (by this, I mean something simple
like XMLRPC or JSON-over-REST?).    Can there also be an ovirt command
line for simple scripting integration?

I can see it being highly useful to saying "find where to put this VM
and give it storage and make it so (which in turn calls Cobbler API's)"
though all of this may need to be exposed via other interfaces, scripts,
and so on.

If there are docs somewhere on how to go about playing with that kind of
stuff, I'd like to take a look at it.

--Michael