[Ovirt-devel] Managed Node qpid Modeling

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 09:18:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 09:55:44PM -0700, Ian Main wrote:
> So please take a look and feel free to post questions or comments.
>
>     <method name="create_domain" desc="Start a new domain">
>       <arg name="description" dir="I" type="sstr" desc="Domain description"/>
>       <arg name="vcpus" dir="I" type="unit32" desc="Number of virtual CPUs"/>
>       <arg name="max_memory" dir="I" type="unit32" desc="Maximum memory allocated in KB"/>
>       <arg name="current_memory" dir="I" type="unit32" desc="Memory to use in KB"/>
>       <arg name="boot_device" dir="I" type="sstr" desc="Boot device"/>
>
>       <arg name="domain" dir="O" type="sstr" desc="Newly created domain object"/>
>       <arg name="result" dir="O" type="ObjID" desc="Description of result.  'success' or 'failure: error msg'"/>
>     </method>

This is a seriously bad direction to take. libvirt explicitly uses XML for
passing domain creation information so that it is extendable without having
to constantly change the API of the creation methods. IMHO any wire protocol
between managed nodes and WUI should map pretty much 1-to-1 onto the libvirt
APIs.

In fact rather than defining an oVirt AMQP protocol I'd like this to be
positioned as the canonical libvirt AMQP protocol.  This will enable good
interoperability for any other applications using AMQP who also interact
with libvirt. For it to be a libvirt AMQP protocol it should be a pretty
much direct serialization of libvirt API onto the wire.

Sure you'll probably need some oVirt specific bits too for APIs outside the
scope of libvirt, such as the broader monitoring  / stats stuff oVirt does.
So we'll actually want 2 separate AMQP specifications - one for libvirt &
one for oVirt.

Regards,
Daniel