[Ovirt-devel] Virtual machine configuration screen

Perry N. Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 22:58:56 UTC 2008

David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 11:10 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>> The initial set of configurable options that I'm looking at are:
>>
>> Cobbler integration:
>>    - a name for the virtual machine (should be unique)
>>    - a notes section [1]
>>    - a way of listing available system profiles or image profiles
>
> You should also have a quick look at Genome[1] - I don't think it's
> quite ready for prime time, but ultimately that's the kind of
> provisioning solution you want to integrate with. From the oVirt side,
> it shouldn't require much more metadata than cobbler (essentially, just
> a list of puppet classes on top of Cobler metadata).

First pass will be integration with cobbler by itself, but as Genome
matures we can certainly integrate with it.

>>    - the number of CPUs to use [2]
>>    - the amount of memory for the VM [2]
>>    - a way of specifying a set of optional arguments for koan
>
> It's probably better to specify exactly which options need to be
> supported. Ultimately, the only bits of metadata that integrating with
> cobbler adds should be
>
>       * The kernel/initrd to boot into (though the user might think of
>         this as selecting a cobbler distro/profile)

This is not really applicable in the FV case as we're just provisioning
via PXE and image (disk image and CDROM image).  But at some point when we
get support for dom0 as a type of managed node then PV provisioning may
come into play.  But I think for now we should focus on the FV
provisioning types.

>       * The kickstart to use (again, expressed as a cobbler
>         distro/profile) plus any template variables needed for that
>         kickstart

Yeah, a cobbler profile includes the kickstart to use.  So no need to
split out kickstart as an option in the provisioning UI in oVirt.  But the
template variables idea is interesting...  I'd argue that first pass lets
get this implemented without template vars and then second pass we can add
that in.

Perry