[Ovirt-devel] ovirt questions

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 16:56:50 UTC 2008

Hello Thomas, thanks for your interest in oVirt.

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 06:13:27PM +0200, Thomas von Steiger wrote:
> I have installed ovirt ontop fedora 9 and macos with vmware to learn and
> sea the philosophy
> and i think this project is on the right way to push and manage
> baremetal to virtual servers in the datacenter with opensoure in the
> future.
> I found one great point for this project is using of ruby and RoR with a
> breeze of python and bash. I like this!

Glad you approve, it has been a winning combination for us so far.

> From my first positive experience and thinking about this project i have
> some feedback/questions:
>
> - Are groups for usermanagment not practical ?

Since our users are maintained in LDAP we will probably add a way to
assign roles to groups at some point in the future. Up to this point
it hasn't been a priority however.

> - Whats about the idea to map spacewalk or satellite channels/
> activationkeys into ovirt to the managed nodes and virtual servers for
> the patchmanagment?

Well, we are working on integrating with Cobbler for provisioning via
netboot and also (in the future) from ISOs. Cobbler is going to be
doing some things with Spacewalk as well so we may get some Spacewalk
integration for free. Having said that we are trying to avoid writing
our own entitlement management; the idea with oVirt is to manage hosts
and VMs and let something else manage entitlements and updates to
existing VMs.

> - Are there other types of storage in the schedule for the future like
> direct attached storage or san storage?

Yes, absolutely. Support for these other kinds of storage is in
libvirt now and we will be adding UI around it in the near future.

> - For now i can define in host managment "hostname". What's about
> "domainname"?
>   Should we not use hostname.domainname.

The hostname, for a managed node in this case, is really coming from
DNS, and has to remain the same for kerberos to work. Going forward I
believe we will actually be using the FQDN for the hostname (watch for
patches coming up).

Feel free to follow up on irc.freenode.net/#ovirt with further
questions.

Take care,
--Hugh