[Ovirt-devel] ports and hostnames for the ovirt server

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 15:34:06 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>> 3. Relocate the ipa server so that it's not at the root URL
>> 4. Relocate the ovirt server so that it's not at the root URL
>>

> IMHO, both IPA & oVirt should *not* take over the root URL. All apps
> should default to a private prefix,  /ipa/  and /ovirt/.  When deploying
> in production a simple mod-rewrite  rule can make either app take over
> use of /, simply redirecting to the either /ipa or /ovirt depending
> on which the server admin decides should be the default.

In addition to apache rewriting, the webapp may need to know this prefix
when generating URLs as well. With virt-factory, we did mount the whole
app at "/vf" and I had to feed this prefix to rails to prepend this to
generated URLs. Perhaps mod-rewrite can do this as well, but I wasn't
able to figure that out (although perhaps I was just being dense). Doing
this in the app did work, but it was a pain, as we had to prepend the
prefix all over the place.
> The FreeIPA  config file is fundamentally broken since it assumes it is
> the only app living in the apache server. This needs to be fixed so that
> they play nicely with other apps. This means living under /ipa/ and having
> an optional redirect from / at the site administrators discretion.
>
> Dan.

The ovirt config suffers from this same problem currently.

Scott