[Ovirt-devel] oVirt Appliance and Node Packaging

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 15:31:27 UTC 2008

A few releases ago we moved from packaging the oVirt Appliance in an RPM
instead of a tarball for various reasons.  RPM isn't the best format for
packaging this since we want the packaging format to be OS neutral.  So
we're thinking about refactoring how the oVirt Node and Appliance are
packaged/distributed.  Here's the plan, feedback from the community at
large is appreciated.

1. oVirt Appliance will be formatted as a raw disk image and packaged in a
    zip file that will contain metadata files for various hypervisors
    (virt-image format to start, soon vmx and ovf).  The
    create-ovirt-appliance script will be in this zip as well for
    convenience
2. the ovirt-appliance RPM will continue to exist but it will just contain
    the Requires (for automatic dependency downloading) and required
    scripts.  Script will be included to download the image zip from
    ovirt.org site or use local copy on disk
3. ovirt-node-image RPM will continue to exist, but we'll also provide
    the Node ISO image in zip file format
4. ovirt-node-image-pxe RPM will be removed.  ovirt-node-image RPM can
    create the PXE images during installation

The goal of this change is to make the appliance and Node more accessible
to users of other distributions.

Thanks,

Perry

--
|=-        Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston        -=|
|=-                     Email: pmyers at redhat.com                      -=|