[Ovirt-devel] Network configuration wiki page created...

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 16:10:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:00:26PM -0400, Darryl Pierce wrote:

> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > It feels like there's a bit of disconnect here between the concept
> > your trying to present & the way you're making users configure it.
> >
> > eg, you're talking in terms of defining networks for virtual machines,
> > but making the user work in terms of individual interfaces. I particularly
> > don't like the duplicated forms for IP / DHCP config, and the way you
> > end up picking interfaces to go with your bonding device, or the fact
> > that you're asking user's to name it.
> >
> > An approach that maps more closely to the conceptual model would be
> > to have a single form, with three parts.
> >
> >  - First define the IP address configuration.
> >  - Select one or more physical devices to associate
> >    with the network.
> >  - Optionally specify bonding mode
> >  - Optionally specify a VLAN number
>
> Thank you for the feedback. I've redone the mockup using the input
> you've provided. Can you take a look and tell me if this is closer to
> what you're thinking?

Yes, this does more closely align, though I see this approach actualy
introduces a slightly different problem - the VLANs don't actually
work very well in this context. If you want to create lots of VLANs,
its forcing you to re-specify the pair of bonded devices each time
which isn't very nice. I can't think of a good answer for this yet

Also, your heading 'For network device bond0' isn't applicable - we're
trying to model this as configuring a network,rather than configuring
a network device.  Which reminds me that we'd want to have a way to
provide a name for the network eg  'Super secure guest network',
'web server network', or some such. We also want to be able to indicate
whether the network is to be used for guests, storage, or management

Daniel