[Ovirt-devel] Re: Something puzzled about the ovirt

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 17:46:36 UTC 2008

vbian wrote:
> Hi,Pmyers:
> In the reply of the bug #466220,you wrote,that we should do the test
> ,"using the real nodes(ovirt node running on physical hardware) or VMs
> running directly on the Appliance Host."
> But the node 3-5  are the fake nodes.
> =>So:
> 1.How can we get the ovirt node? Maybe how to create the node exactly.

Physical nodes are created by PXE booting real hardware on the same LAN as
the oVirt Appliance.  If you are running the appliance on a physical
machine it needs to have a network card bridged to a network with only
oVirt machines on it.  You would use the create-ovirt-appliance script
like this:

create-ovirt-appliance -e eth1

(Assuming that eth1 is the network interface that you want to bridge)

Then you just boot the other hosts on that network after configuring them
to PXE and you're set.

> 2.And at the same time, the VMs running directly on the Appliance Host
> are the Virtual Machines created in the ovirt UI? In that case, I can't
> make a vm run successfully by now.What should I do?

On the physical host running the appliance, did you run the following command:
ovirt-install-node stateful

This sets up the physical host to be an ovirt-node that you can create
virtual machines on.  This works in version 0.93 and above.

If this is done correctly you should see a host named:
physical.priv.ovirt.org
in the hosts tab in the default hardware pool.

If you don't see this Node there, send me more details (logs preferably)
that I can take a look at.

> 3.About the nfs: by now, I can get the only nfs service in the Appliance
> Host,and I wonder what is the function of the disk1-3.dsk files. What's
> more ,the configuration of the nfs in ovirt-appliance is not the same as
> the configuration in real physical host.
>    =>How could I configure another nfs in ovirt?

Just run a Fedora box on the oVirt network that you've bridged over eth1
(or whatever interface your bridge is) and configure an NFS export on that
host.  You'll need to create empty disk images in the new NFS share using
the qemu-img command line tool.

You can also run an NFS server on the physical host running the appliance.
  Just make sure that the firewall is configured to allow NFS through it,
or make sure that ovirtbr0 is a trusted interface using the following command:
lokkit -t ovirtbr0 (0.94 release should do this by default)

In this case, the NFS server IP address would be 192.168.50.1 and the
share name is whatever you put into /etc/exports.

> 4.I want to get the further information about the ovirtbr0
> (192.168.50.1) and the virbr0 (192.168.122.1).Whether the ovirtbr0 is
> the bridge between the VM host and the physical host,but the VMs
> couldn't access the outside world via the ovirtbr0,and they access the
> outside world via the virbr0?

Yes, VMs can access the outside world via virbr0.  That is why the default
gateway on the oVirt network is 192.168.50.2.  This way the appliance acts
like a router passing all external traffic through virbr0 to the outside
world.

ovirtbr0 does not have NAT or routing set up for it, so it does not route
to the outside world.  (This could be changed by adding some iptables
rules to the host though)

> 5.Today,you brought us a good news that the Windows could be installed
> in the ovirt VM, I wonder how can you accomplish that?

I used the .94 version which was just released and did the following:
1. Installed the appliance and ovirt-node RPMs on the physical host
2. # ovirt-install-node stateful
3. # create-ovirt-appliance
4. Boot the appliance.  This allows the physical host node to get a
    kerberos keytab.
5. Shut down the appliance and virsh destroy it
6. # service libvirtd restart (so libvirt loads the keytab from step 4)
7. Boot the appliance
8. Set up an NFS share on the physical host like this:
    a. # mkdir -p /ovirtisos
    b. added this to /etc/exports
       /ovirtisos		*(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
    c. # chkconfig nfsd on ; service nfsd restart
9. Copy a Windows XP install ISO to /ovirtisos/winxp.iso
10. In the oVirt WUI, added a new storage pool with the following info:
     ip address: 192.168.50.1
     path: /ovirtisos
11. Create a cobbler profile for the ISO image on the appliance:
     # cobbler image add --name=WinXP \
	--file=management.priv.ovirt.org:/ovirtisos/winxp.iso
12. Create a new vm pool and then in the vm pool create a new vm and
     select WinXP as the provisioning type.

That should work, if you run into any problems, let me know.

Thanks,

Perry