[Ovirt-devel] localization in rails

Jason Guiditta jguiditt at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 20:05:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 14:43 -0400, Benjamin Kahn wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 14:29 -0400, Jason Guiditta wrote:
> > I just came across this article about native i18n support coming in
> > rails 2.2, so this should make it easier for us to add i18n in future
> > releases.  The included gem will be the 'Simple' backend, but you can
> > use/write others via (for example) I18n.backend =
> > I18n::Backend::Gettext.  Default setup looks pretty easy, similar to
> > property file bundles in the java world, but in hash format.
>
> > http://almosteffortless.com/2008/07/21/simple-localization-in-rails-22/
>
> I'd be interested in knowing what the i18n team thinks about this.  Why
> not use gettext?
>
> http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/chapter/105
>
> or, because that site appears to be down:
> http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:d1wHw7KeJq8J:manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/chapter/105+rails+gettext

As I mentioned, you can use gettext or whatever else you want to plug in
as the backend.  They are shipping a default one to get people started,
but the main point of what they are trying to do is provide easier
access to i18n solutions from rails, which has always been a weak spot.
Basically they are providing a core api to allow you to call multiple
backends as needed, described here:
http://www.artweb-design.de/2008/7/18/finally-ruby-on-rails-gets-internationalized