[Ovirt-devel] Explicit global network modelling

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 14:38:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:30:58AM -0400, Perry Myers wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >Also note we don't need to ask the admin whether eth1 should be bridged
> >or not. We know for a fact that it must be bridged, because it is a guest
> >traffic network. Likewise we know that a admin network does not need a
> >bridge. If a network was designated for both mgmt and guest usage, then
> >we would need a bridge and IP address config.
>
> I like this approach, just a small comment.  We need to be able to support
>  defining networks that are some combination of Managment, Guest,
> Storage. So usage can't be a single selection, it needs to be
> multi-selection.  And if guest is one of the selected usages, then the
> bridge is created.

Yes, that is no problem - the 'usage' field is just a set of possible
options. If you have a network that is both a guest network, and a mgmt
network, then you'd both create the bridge device, and configure IP
details on the host.

> The other question that comes up is: how do we define these networks,
> interfaces in the absence of the oVirt server for when the Node is in
> standalone mode?  We should mirror this type of dialog in a text
> configuration utility that can be put directly on the Node for admins to
> use in standalone operations.  The output of the utility would be a
> configuration file that can be fed to the existing scripts for setting up
> network interfaces via augeas.

Well in the standalone mode you really just want a simple UI for setting
up individual NICs. In non-standalone mode, taskomatic will be translating
from the oVirt WUI model, into a serious of NIC config settings. So in
standalone mode, we just need to have UI to replicate the NIC config
settings that taskomatic would be sending.

Daniel