[Ovirt-devel] Explicit global network modelling

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 22:13:32 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:53:57PM -0400, Mohammed Morsi wrote:
>
>> Just to assist in starting all this, I came up with a quick uml class
>> diagram for the new network changes incorporating the new classes and
>> relationships,  and accommodating for things like static ip addresses
>> and the network usage relationship. It can be accessed here
>> http://www.ovirt.org/page/Redesigned_Network_Configuration If anything
>> looks off, feel free to point it out.
>>

> Some points
>
>  - Network <-> Usage   is  0/1-to-n since you can have zero or
>    more usages for each network
>  - Having separate tables for 'bonding type' and 'boot type' seems
>    like overkill to me - I would have just have a single byte field
>    with a CHECK constraint on it.
>  - NIC <-> IPAddress is  0/1-to-n  since you can have zero or more
>    addresses for each NIC
>  - Sub-tables for IPv4 vs IPv6 seems like overkill since they're
>    not going to be any different in the info they store
>
>  - Don't use the word 'virtual' in association with network - stick to
>    using VLAN instead. 'virtual' already has a defined meaning in libvirt
>    application terminology.
>  - A physical NIC should associate to a physical network, to enforce
>    that a NIC is a physical connection
>  - Bond shouldn't associate with network at all, since that's duplicating
>    info already encoded in the NIC -> physical network association
>  - A physical NIC & bond should also assciate to VLAN-network, n-to-n to
>    represent the idea that you can enable zero or more VLAN interfaces.
>    In fact this suggests you should have a base class NIC, and sub-classes
>    for physical, bond & vlan interfaces.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

I updated the diagram. As far as the ipv4/ ipv6 distinction, once again
this is a validation issue, not only do the addresses need to be
validated to be in the correct format, but certain fields of the
ip_addresses table only apply to IPv4/IPv6. I'm still a little unclear
about the nic / bonding and physical / vlan network associations, so the
diagram might be off.

   -Mo