[Ovirt-devel] Re: NIC bonding and failover...

+++ Chris Lalancette [04/09/08 18:32 +0200]:
Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
GOAL:

To allow the user to create a bonding to enslave two or more network
interfaces together. Bonded interfaces can then be used for load balancing
and fail-over.

DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS:

The two primary modes of operation are round-robin and failover. With
round-robin you get a general load-balancing scheme between the enslaved
interfaces. With failover, the primary interface is used until it fails, then
the backup(s) are used.

I think for now, if we concentrate on these two, that will cover the majority of
cases, and we can add the more complex cases later.  However, you have to be
aware that there are multiple ways to set these up.  I'm definitely not a
bonding expert, but I do know that some types of setups (blades, for instance),
cannot do the most efficient "ethtool" checking of path failover; they must use
some kind of arp_interval ping to determine if the other path is still up.  So
you need to expose not only "Round-robin" and "failover", but you also need to
expose which method the admin wants to use.

I'm in the not-an-expert camp as well. But, whe nyou say "expose which
method" what do you mean there? From my understanding, the way you would
configure bonding is to load the bonding module and specify which mode to use
there via "modprobe bonding mode=[#] miimon=[interval]". Is there some
additional set of arguments to the module?

--
Darryl L. Pierce, Sr. Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. - http://www.redhat.com/