[Ovirt-devel] root access required?

David Lively dlively at virtualiron.com
Mon Sep 8 17:19:44 UTC 2008

I've always been a big fan of Debian's 'fakeroot' for making archives
whose files have root ownership (without actually boosting the invoking
users privileges -- so not a security hole).  And now 'fakeroot' is
available for Fedora (9, at least) via the official yum repos.

But I found one (unsurprisingly) can't 'fakeroot chroot /dir',
(where /dir (and children) are owned by the invoking user).  But I just
today (after Ben sent this) stumbled upon 'fakechroot':
    http://fakechroot.alioth.debian.org/

At first (very quick) glance, this would appear to do the trick, though
I'm not sure whether we'll hit some of the limitations described on the
man page:
    http://fakechroot.alioth.debian.org/index.cgi?ManFakechroot

I'm also not sure what it would take to port this into a non-Debian
environment, since I haven't yet pulled down the sources.

Anyone have any experience with 'fakechroot'??

Dave